Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/706823.cloudwaysapps.com/vumfhjpphz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-social-sharing/includes/class-public.php on line 81
I would like to share a great and affordable recipe that helped me gain a better appreciation of tofu more than twenty years ago. I use this recipe over and over again because it is so tasty! This is a vegetarian adaptation of a classic Beef Stroganoff recipe: Tofu “Strong Enough” (pun intended). I think it adapts to all palates: even my young daughter loves it! Now that is pretty impressive!
The secret is to marinate and cut tofu into thin pieces. My only advice for this recipe is to use organic tofu. Otherwise, get your creativity flowing with all the other ingredients! That’s the pleasure of cooking. Nobody get the science of it, make adjustments! Tofu will quickly become useful to create your affordable and nutritious food.
Based on my experience, here is the recipe for a scrumptious meal for four guests who have hearty appetites!
- 2 blocks of firm tofu, finely cut
- Approximately 1 cup of tomato paste
- Approximately 1 cup of red or white wine; it adds a great, robust flavour
- Approximately ½ cup of 35% cream or soy cream
- 2 cups of button mushrooms. However, dare to try oyster mushrooms; they are simply heavenly!
- 1 white, red or green onion
- 1 to 6 cloves of garlic
- Approximately 1 cup of dill pickles
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh parsley (no dried parsley!)
- Paprika, of course! I love Hungarian food! Paprika adds a touch of spice and muskiness for a full-bodied flavour. Do you like to buck convention? Try cayenne pepper. The amount? A minimum of 4 teaspoons, or tablespoons, depending on how much you like spices.
- Salt and pepper, a must!
Notes: The quantities are for references purposes only. Rely on your taste buds and with what is in the fridge. Don’t like mushrooms? They can be replaced by whatever you want.
- The day before your meal, marinate the cut tofu in wine, paprika, crushed garlic, finely chopped dill pickles, salt and pepper. The more it marinates, the better it will be. You can even marinate up to 2 or 3 days.
- Ready to whip up the dish? Sauté the onion and mushrooms until they are light golden brown.
- Add the tofu and to the pan and wine. Cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the tomato paste and the cream. Warm over low heat until the sauce becomes creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remember: the flavours of spices and herbs are enhanced by salt. If you have enough salt, add some more.
Enjoy this dish with a fresh green salad, rice or short pasta, such as orzo. Everything is allowed except monotony.